Professor Emeritus, Ohio State University
Ohio State University
Department of Psychology
1827 Neil Avenue
240N Lazenby Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1234
- 1963 Feb. - June: University of Illinois at Chicago
- 1963-1967: Carleton College, B. A. 1967
- 1967-1971: University of Michigan, Department of Psychology; M.S. - 1968; Ph.D. - 1971
- 2000 - 2011: Professor, The Ohio State University, Department of Psychology
- 2000 - 2008: Senior Scholar, Center for Health Outcomes, Policy, and Evaluation Studies (HOPES)
- 2005 - 2008: Professor, Division of Health Services, Management, and Policy, The Ohio State University
- 2005 - 2011: Fellow, Center for Interdisciplinary Law and Policy Studies, Moritz School of Law, The Ohio State University
- 2011 - present: Professor Emeritus, The Ohio State University, Department of Psychology
Recent selected publications
Arkes, H. R., & Dent, G. W., Jr. (2019). Perceptions of gender, race, and anti-conservative discrimination on campus. Academic Questions, 32, 94-104. (Expanded version available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3127004)
Mellers, B. A., Tetlock, P. E., & Arkes, H. R. (2019). Forecasting tournaments, epistemic humility, and attitude depolarization. Cognition, 188, 19-26.
Naguib, M., Brull, S. J., Hunter, J. M., . . . Arkes, H. R. (2019). Anesthesiologists' overconfidence in their perceived knowledge of neuromuscular monitoring and its relevance to all aspects of medical practice: An international survey. Anesthesia & Analgesia, 128, 1118-1126.
Naguib, M., Brull, S. J., Kopman, A. F., Hunter, J. M., Fulesdi, B, Arkes, H. R., & Elstein, A., Todd, M. M., & Johnson, K. B. (2017). Consensus statement on perioperative use of neuromuscular monitoring. Anesthesia & Analgesia, 127, 71-80.
Arkes, H. R., Kagel, J. H., & Mezhvinsky, D. (2017). Effects of management-labor context and team play on ultimatum game outcomes. Southern Economic Journal, 83, 993-1011.
Knoll, M. A. Z., & Arkes, H. R. (2017). The effects of expertise on the hindsight bias. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 30, 389-399.
Arkes, H. R. (2016). A levels of processing interpretation of dual-system theories of judgment and decision making. Theory and Psychology, 26, 459-475.
Arkes, H. R., Gigerenzer, G., & Hertwig, R. (2016). How bad is incoherence? Decision, 3, 20-39.
Arkes, H. R. (2012). Heuristics can be ecologically rational. Trends in Cognitive Science, 16, 260-261.
Arkes, H. R., & Gaissmaier, W. (2012). Psychological research and the PSA test controversy. Psychological Science, 23, 547-553.