Professor Emeritus, Ohio State University
Ohio State University
Department of Psychology
1827 Neil Avenue
240N Lazenby Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1234
- 1963 Feb. - June: University of Illinois at Chicago
- 1963-1967: Carleton College, B. A. 1967
- 1967-1971: University of Michigan, Department of Psychology; M.S. - 1968; Ph.D. - 1971
- 2000 - 2011: Professor, The Ohio State University, Department of Psychology
- 2000 - 2008: Senior Scholar, Center for Health Outcomes, Policy, and Evaluation Studies (HOPES)
- 2005 - 2008: Professor, Division of Health Services, Management, and Policy, The Ohio State University
- 2005 - 2011: Fellow, Center for Interdisciplinary Law and Policy Studies, Moritz School of Law, The Ohio State University
- 2011 - present: Professor Emeritus, The Ohio State University, Department of Psychology
Recent selected publications
Siyuan Yin, Hal R. Arkes, John P. McCoy, Margot E. Cohen, and Barbara A. Mellers (2021). Conflicting Goals Influence Physicians’ Expressed Beliefs to Patients and Colleagues. Medical Decision Making, Sage Publishing.
Arkes, H. R., & Dent, G. W., Jr. (2019). Perceptions of gender, race, and anti-conservative discrimination on campus. Academic Questions, 32, 94-104. (Expanded version available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3127004)
Mellers, B. A., Tetlock, P. E., & Arkes, H. R. (2019). Forecasting tournaments, epistemic humility, and attitude depolarization. Cognition, 188, 19-26.
Naguib, M., Brull, S. J., Hunter, J. M., . . . Arkes, H. R. (2019). Anesthesiologists' overconfidence in their perceived knowledge of neuromuscular monitoring and its relevance to all aspects of medical practice: An international survey. Anesthesia & Analgesia, 128, 1118-1126.
Naguib, M., Brull, S. J., Kopman, A. F., Hunter, J. M., Fulesdi, B, Arkes, H. R., & Elstein, A., Todd, M. M., & Johnson, K. B. (2017). Consensus statement on perioperative use of neuromuscular monitoring. Anesthesia & Analgesia, 127, 71-80.
Arkes, H. R., Kagel, J. H., & Mezhvinsky, D. (2017). Effects of management-labor context and team play on ultimatum game outcomes. Southern Economic Journal, 83, 993-1011.
Knoll, M. A. Z., & Arkes, H. R. (2017). The effects of expertise on the hindsight bias. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 30, 389-399.
Arkes, H. R. (2016). A levels of processing interpretation of dual-system theories of judgment and decision making. Theory and Psychology, 26, 459-475.
Arkes, H. R., Gigerenzer, G., & Hertwig, R. (2016). How bad is incoherence? Decision, 3, 20-39.
Arkes, H. R. (2012). Heuristics can be ecologically rational. Trends in Cognitive Science, 16, 260-261.
Arkes, H. R., & Gaissmaier, W. (2012). Psychological research and the PSA test controversy. Psychological Science, 23, 547-553.